Legal resume writing service
If you want to become a lawyer, carefully study the entry-level vacancies and weigh what you already know and what else you need to study. For example, a person with experience in document management can become an assistant to a lawyer if he studies the law. Even further, you can grow in other areas of the legal field. But we cannot but emphasize that higher education is an important point for employers. In the future, perhaps, the possibilities of lawyers without higher education will be greatly limited.
Many companies and law firms are happy to accept students and recent graduates to transfer routine job duties. Of course, at first, it will be boring to sort through documents for days, but without it, nowhere is experience and an opportunity to see the real side of work. Students can apply for internships - whether paid or not - or to work under a fixed-term employment contract before graduation. Recent graduates with zero or little experience are awaiting the position of the assistant lawyer or associate lawyer.
If there is any experience, everything is simple - correctly describe it. Read more about this in our article. But to write a resume of a lawyer without experience will be more difficult, but also real. Remember everything you studied at the university: what documents were considered, cases were taken apart, laws were studied.
If you have many years of experience in legal practice, then do not completely describe it in a resume. It is enough to talk about 3-4 previous workplaces (in separate blocks) or the experience over the past 10 years.
- Prepared more than 15 lawsuits in a month
- Settled 70% of conflicts in the pretrial order
- Conducted examination of more than 30 contracts per month: purchase and sale, insurance, lease
- Represented the interests of the company in arbitration courts, courts of general jurisdiction, and magistrates' courts in civil and administrative cases, in total - 11
As you can see, in each of the options, measured results are used - the number of claims, the percentage of resolved conflicts, the number of contracts. Regardless of the field, employers like to see visual results.
The most important lawyer skill for a resume is knowledge of the law. The non-related knowledge is also important, but not so much. What else do employers want to see in a lawyer’s resume:
- Knowledge of the basics of civil law, bankruptcy law, arbitration process, etc
- Programs: Word, Excel
- Skills in drafting contracts, procedural documents, analytical reports, and other documents
- Litigation knowledge
- Competent language for writing documents and communicating with clients and partners
- Business correspondence skills
Agree, both Word and Excel are quite easy to study. Examples of necessary documents can be viewed on the Internet, or you can ask the teacher at the university to explain the subtleties.
Jurisprudence is not Internet marketing it’s hard to manage online courses here: you won’t be able to get fundamental legal and legal knowledge while sitting at home. But you can always enrich a lawyer's resume with information about some interesting and informative courses. Names of courses from eminent universities will attract the attention of a recruiter.
Rules for resume writing
The rules for compiling and executing a resume are the same for any profession:
- Avoid overly creative design
- Use readable fonts
- Clearly record achievements and responsibilities, preferably with a list
- Download your resume in a format that will be conveniently viewed on any device
To design a resume for a lawyer, you should not choose bright design colors and use templates. Stick to classics and restrained colors: black, gray, dark blue.
We remind you once again - with a cover letter, young specialists can at least somehow smooth out a little experience or its complete absence. Of course, provided that the cover letter is really catchy. Tell us in a cover letter about your motivation and professional dreams: you want to develop in this particular company, consider only the banking sector for study, etc. Often, it is a cover letter that is crucial in selecting candidates.
What you do not need to write about:
- About all subjects from the educational program.
- About experience that has nothing to do with future job responsibilities, like working as a waiter or promoter. But work as a secretary can be indicated if you have worked with documents and communicated with partners of the company.
- About non-core courses. A long list of training courses on marketing or development will lead the recruiter to wonder that maybe you are going to change the scope of your business.
Remember that for a lawyer, such qualities as responsibility, attentiveness, stress tolerance, analytical thinking, diligence, determination, perseverance are important. Include in the resume those that you possess.
Before choosing a professional resume service, be sure to carefully read all the available samples so that you can get an idea of the marketing value that they can offer you. Your resume and other positioning documents are your keys to getting the job you want, the salary you deserve.
and how to create the appropriate content. Invest in your career!