Should You Add Your Old Jobs From 20 Years Ago To Your Resume?
Are you currently facing this not-so-easy task of updating your resume? If so, you need to think about whether to include older jobs that you held two decades or more ago. On one hand, these older positions can illustrate your career longevity and extensive experience. On the other hand, they may appear outdated or irrelevant. Our professional resume writers shared their thoughts on the pros and cons of incorporating older jobs into your resume.
Pros of Including Older Jobs in Your Resume:
- One of the primary benefits of including older jobs in your resume is the ability to showcase your long-standing commitment to the workforce. Employers often value candidates with a substantial track record, especially for senior-level positions where experience is highly prized.
- Older jobs may still hold relevance to your current career trajectory, particularly if they involve a similar role or require comparable skills. Incorporating these roles into your resume allows you to underscore your proficiency in these skills and how you've consistently applied them over time.
- Employment history can sometimes feature gaps due to various reasons such as personal commitments or economic downturns. Including older jobs can bridge these gaps and offer a comprehensive view of your work history, reassuring potential employers of your continuous engagement in the workforce.
Cons of Including Older Jobs in Your Resume:
- The landscape of industries can change significantly over two decades. Including jobs from 20 years ago that are no longer relevant may not be advantageous. It could give the impression that you are out of touch with contemporary practices.
- Resume space is precious real estate. Including older jobs that aren't relevant to your current career path or the specific position you're applying for can unnecessarily eat up space without contributing valuable information.
- Adding older jobs to your resume might draw attention to your age, which could potentially be a disadvantage. For candidates worried about age discrimination, focusing on recent and relevant experiences may be a more strategic approach.
Now, let's see why resume professional help may be of value when it comes to creating a resume that does work.
- Professional resume writers are adept at peppering your resume up with keywords that align with the industry and job you want to get. Incorporating keywords that cover your experience and are directly connected to the job description will increase your scores after the ATS checks.
- Besides, expert resume writers know how to customize your resume to the specific job you're applying for. They'll strategically highlight your most pertinent skills and experiences, making sure older jobs are presented in a way that complements your current career objectives. Or they will remove those jobs and transform those experiences into short descriptions or skills.
- Top resume writing services can ensure that your resume is visually appealing and adheres to industry standards, including a well-organized layout, acceptable fonts, and appropriate design elements to make your resume stand out.
- Many of the best resume writing services offer professional cover letter writing services. A well-crafted cover letter can help explain the presence of the older jobs in your resume and provide context that makes them more relevant to the position you're seeking.
- We all live in an online world. A strong LinkedIn presence is non-negotiable for job seekers. Resume services often offer LinkedIn profile writing to assist you with your online image and align it with your resume.
- For those pursuing federal positions or specialized roles such as military positions, there are federal resume writing services that can navigate the intricacies of these unique job markets.
To sum up, resume professionals provide valuable insights and suggestions for improving your resume, such as removing outdated information, emphasizing achievements, and aligning your resume with industry trends.
Deciding whether to include older jobs in your resume should be a strategic choice based on your career goals and the specific position you're pursuing. The advantages of professional resume writing services, such as keyword optimization, tailored content, and expert guidance, can significantly help in writing a resume that effectively balances your experience with contemporary relevance. If you decide to work with certified professional resume writers, you will get a polished and impactful job search document that maximizes your chances of landing more interviews. So, investing in professional expertise can be the key to unlocking your career potential.